Never too early to prepare for a fire!
Although “Burn Week Awareness” is in February, it is never too early to start learning how to prepare. Last year's theme was Burning Issues in the Kitchen and as for 2023, the theme is Hot Liquids Burn Like Fire! According to the American Burn Association, 47% of all home fires are caused by cooking. When it comes to preventing fires in your kitchen, there are a few steps to take into account before you start cooking.
- Always clean the stove/oven to prevent grease buildup.
- When heating food in the microwave, make sure to use microwave-safe cookware that allows steam to escape. Allow food to rest before removing it from the microwave.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave, turn off the stove.
- After cooking, check the kitchen to make sure all burners and other appliances are turned off.
- Use a timer to remind you to check on your cooking.
SERVPRO of Dothan offers residential fire clean up and restorative services in case you ever experience such a situation. The main goal is to get your home back to its original state with fire damage clean up, fire damage restoration, smoke damage clean up, and removal of smoke odors.